ICRE Roosevelt Logo_Smaller


What is ADA Paratransit Service?

For riders whose disability or health condition may prevent them from using fixed route service (buses and “L” trains) even with these improvements, PACE provides shared-ride, curb-to curb transportation in the RTA area called “ADA Paratransit Services”.


How Do You Apply for ADA Paratransit Services?

Individuals who are interested in pursuing ADA Paratransit Service must apply and be found eligible according to ADA guidelines. The Regional Transportation Authority (RTA) is responsible for determining eligibility for ADA Paratransit Services in the Chicago land region.

Mass Transit

All CTA and Pace fixed-route busses are equipped with wheelchair ramps or lifts. At least one car on all Metra trains is equipped with a lift, and virtually all Metra stations are barrier-free. The “L” system is only accessible at 50% of its stations.


Things to be done now:

  • Determine if your student will need Paratransit Services or is interested in learning to ride on Mass Transit.
  • Apply for the services as early as possible¾it is possible to appeal a decision if an individual is turned down for Paratransit Services.
  • Enroll in the Illinois Department on Aging Circuit Breaker’s new program (people with disabilities ride free)¾see resources below.
  • Seek out travel training for support¾see resources below.



For more information about ADA Paratransit eligibility or to request an application, call: Regional Transportation Authority (RTA) ADA Paratransit Certification 312-663-4353 TTY 312-913-3122, Monday- Friday: 8:30a.m. until 5:00p.m.


Circuit Ride Free Program: People with disabilities who are enrolled in the Illinois Department on Aging’s Circuit Breaker program are eligible to ride free on the Chicago Transit Authority (CTA), Metra and pace fixed-route services. To ride free, you must first qualify and be enrolled in the Illinois Circuit Breaker program. Learn more about the Illinois Circuit Breaker program at or call 1-800-252-8966 [TTY: 1-888-206-1327]. Information is also available at senior citizen centers, the Mayor’s Office on Disabilities in the City of Chicago, and Independent Living Centers.


Travel training is available from Chicago Public School for students, contact Nathan Neely at,; call Travel Training at 773.535.4777 or talk to your school’s Transition Specialist for more information